The mission of the LeFlore County Historical Society is to acquire, document, catalogue, preserve, and display artifacts and other items related to the history of LeFlore County, Oklahoma, its citizens and its environs, as well as provide access and information to those involved in research and study on this area.
Our vision is to be recognized as a first-class museum, exploring the past, illuminating the present and imagining the future of LeFlore County, Oklahoma.
Our goal is to provide a friendly learning environment that is the center of the interpretive history of LeFlore Countyas well as acquire a collection of artifacts meeting the needs of and supporting the learning and teaching of the history of LeFlore County, Oklahoma.
In the late 1800's, buildings began to spring up in the Poteau area along with the construction of the first of two railroad lines, the Frisco. A second line now known as the KCS was constructed in the very early 1900's. Dewey Avenue became the business district in early Poteau because it connected the railroad depots.
The Lowrey Hotel occupied the very best piece of business real estate in Poteau when it was constructed in 1922 as it sat on the high ground between the two railroad depots and on the main highway (at the time). The Lowrey Hotel provided its customers with a barbershop, a cafe, and numerous small shops in the building. The Lowery Hotel was a first-class luxury hotel of the period.